Interview with Songs:Illinois and Swedesplease (Chicago blogger)
Chicago blogger: Songs:Illinois and Swedesplease
(If you’re like me and obsessed with Swedish music, you’ll love Swedesplease.)
- Name? Craig Bonnell
- Age? Older
- Occupation? Music writing, film and ad music placement, some promo work.
- How long have you lived in Chicago? A decade or so.
- Favorite Chicago venue? Schubas
- How long have you been blogging? Four or five years.
- How did you choose the name of your blog? I’ve got two blogs. Swedesplease is all Swedish indie pop. The name just popped into my head. Thankfully, several years later, I still love it. The name for Songs:Illinois is taken from Jason Molina’s band, Songs:Ohia.
- First concert? Probably the Throwing Muses at The Rat in Boston in ’84.
- Most recent concert? Chris Bathgate in my living room (part of the Songs:Illinois Presents House Concert series).
- Most memorable concert? Probably one of the early ones. All of them were all-ages in Boston, underneath a German bar called The Rathskellar. The venue was know as The Rat (a real dump). [The venue is now closed.] Highlights would have been Gang Green, The Pixies, Til’ Tuesday, and, as I said, The Throwing Muses.
- Most disappointing concert? I was really looking forward to seeing Martin Sexton a few years back. I was into his record that was out at the time and dragged people out to see him. Turns out he was pretentious, arrogant, drunk (?), and annoying.
- Dream line-up? Galaxie 500, The Feelies, and Yo La Tengo, circa 1987.